The Tivoli Theatre, known as the Jewel of the South, opened to great fanfare in 1921. Silent movies and symphony performances were performed all day long on opening day. The Beaux Arts architectural style of the Tivoli included rose and gold coffered ceilings, terrazzo floors and crystal chandeliers. The Tivoli fate is similar to that of the Fox, with the introduction of suburban movie theaters contributing to the decline and final movie being shown in 1961. The theater was reopened in 1963 after being leased by Chattanooga as the cultural arts center, then was purchased by Chattanooga and renovated and opened again in 1989. Now home to numerous live shows, the Tivoli continues to offer a beautiful venue for performances.